Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Dead Meadow - A Retroactive Appreciation

I wish somebody had told me about Dead Meadow earlier than yesterday when I stumbled across them while watching "Matango: Attack of the Mushroom People" on YouTube. I find I can have YouTube going on one side of the screen while I look for jobs on the other. I call it multi-tasking.

A DC trio for over ten years, now relocated to L.A., Dead Meadow is a psychedelic, trippy, way-out, jamming aural event. Shades of early Pink Floyd (just after Syd left the building), sludgy Black Sabbath-like rhythms, and Zeppelin-inspired riffs. And don't forget Brian Jonestown Massacre--they're in there too. Their live shows will supposedly make your mind go KABLOOEY. What's not to like? Plus guitarist and singer Jason Simon is the son of David Simon, creator of "The Wire." That's a pretty robust talent gene running in the family.

Wyncko has set Dead Meadow songs to some awesomely bad movies. What better way to showcase retro-psychedelia?

I'm Gone - "Matango: Attack of the Mushroom People"


Seven Seers - "Atragon"


Greensky Greenlake with paintings by Jacques de Beaufort


Straight to video:
At Her Open Door


Everything's Going On - live at Little Radio Warehouse, 2007


- Official site.
- On the Matador site.

No comments: