Monday, November 24, 2008

Hip Hop Ladies, as seen in Bust Magazine

I managed to snag two issues of "Bust" from my local library this week. They're ALWAYS checked out. June/July '08 with Amy Sedaris on the cover had a very informative and timely article by Callie Watts on female hip-hop acts. The last time I listened to women rappers was about 4,000 years ago (not counting M.I.A., recently). Here are three lady MCs from the article. To read more, check out the magazine section of your library and hope for the best.

DJ Blaqstarr & Rye Rye - Shake it to the Ground. Out of Baltimore comes 17-year-old Rye Rye (unless she's had a birthday since last summer). Much more uplifting than the fourth season of Baltimore-based "The Wire," which I just finished watching last night (sob). Rye Rye is a dancer--you can tell. She just toured with M.I.A. which makes her the coolest teen-ager in recent pop history.


Kid Sister - Pro Nails, featuring Kanye West. OMG--this is the best idea for a music video ever. I could look at custom nails all day. From Chicago it comes.


Yo Majesty - Club Action. Christian lesbians from Tampa, Florida. This is badass with lots of swear words and techno beats interspersed throughout. Not your typical Christian music.


Bust blog

No comments: