Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Love is in the air

Spring is juuust around the corner. The birds are flitting and twittering like crazy. Squirrels are running in front of my bike at every opportunity and tearing across the back fence with stolen fruit in their mouths. A racoon barreled over our gate the other day and ran by me in the late afternoon, to destinations unknown. A woodpecker has attacked our palm tree with gusto, causing two large fronds to bend and dangle. Maybe with luck, the entire thing will die--I think palm trees look stupid outside of tropical islands. And I found this note in my mailbox, which I think was meant for the teenager who lives a couple doors down.

I never would have had the guts to "mail" something like this to a crush. I was one of those "ride my bike past his house twenty times over the course of a month and hope he notices" types. That never worked out for me. But that was my style. I thought about blocking out the name, but what the hell. Shout it to the rooftops, Jenicka. You're in LOVE.

2 comments:

Apuleius Platonicus said...

"May all those who have never loved, love now for the first time. And may all those who have loved before, now love again."

Ellen Catalina, LCSW said...

I would send this on to "Found" magazine. There should really be a Barry White song playing in the background when one reads this letter