Friday, September 07, 2012

John Travolta Sucks at Acting - a short film, plus bonus crappy movies

While it's true that John Travolta does kind of suck at acting, I must admit I've found him enjoyable over the years. He's grown a bit odd over time, don't you think? I wouldn't pay to see him in a film other than Pulp Fiction, which is his golden moment. Although, yes, he was very charismatic in Saturday Night Fever and Urban Cowboy and give him Grease too. But not Grease 2, which he had the good sense to avoid, although I can't say the same for his decision to star in Staying Alive, which led him down the long road to suckatude,

Where was I? Oh yes! John Travolta. I like him in short doses, which is why this little film is working for me. Kudos to whoever put this together. You've got stamina, man.




Trailer for Staying Alive, Dead on Arrival, 1983. Did you see what I did there? I renamed the movie to reflect its box-office-bomb status. Pre-tty clever.



The endlessly vulgar "meet-cute" aerobics-class scene from Perfect, 1985. Proof that Travolta's management strategy has always been to throw his visage on big screens anywhere and everywhere for maximum cultural saturation—critical acclaim be damned.



I will spare you the moments that make up Look Who's Talking, Look Who's Talking Too, and Look How's Talking NOW. Do you remember John Travolta in the amazing and manly cast of The Thin Red Line? Neither do I! Kudos, John Travolta! Although he didn't make the trailer, unfortunately.



But in Travolta's case, for every Thin Red Line, there is Battlefield Earth. And Scientology must continue to wait for its shining cinematic moment.

No comments: