Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Mrs. Slocombe has left the building

I don't know if you've ever been privy to "Are You Being Served," the British sitcom that was in constant rotation on Bay Area PBS throughout the 90s. I never get through an entire episode, but let me say this, Mollie Sugden, who played middle-aged Mrs. Slocombe with her multi-colored hair, was a funny, funny lady.

What I liked about Sugden was that she didn't mind playing her character as mostly unlikable. Mrs. Slocombe was a bit of a grotesque, but a proper one who always stood at attention just so. She was fussy and clueless and her hair was a different color for every episode. I honestly watched the first five minutes of every show to see what she looked like, especially her incredible outdoors-wear.

At age 86, Mollie Sugden has left us.



Thank you, ONTD for helping me blog this week while I'm unpacking. There will be no "deep thoughts" while I'm moving into my new home.

2 comments:

el space vato said...

Lisa-

I actually enjoyed that show and sat through them all.... more than once. YES, I dug "Mrs. Slocombe's" style as well.

To add to the "obit" theme you have going here... Karl Malden died today. He was 97.

Miss Lisa said...

When great character actors go they leave behind a world a little bit less character-less.