Monday, January 10, 2011

Shabazz Palaces - Belhaven Meridian

Remember Butterfly from Digable Planets? Shabazz Palaces is his current and rather enigmatic Seattle-based project. I love one-shot videos and this one's arty take is by director Kahlil Joseph.



I have the same problem with hip-hop as I have listening to poetry--the flow of words tends to sound rhythmic to my ears and I have trouble discerning the meaning. Not always--sometimes lyrics really grab me, just generally. Oh well--one-shot video, people! Not easy to pull off. And I like this black & white look too. Who knows if it's actual film or doctored digital? Back in 2009, cinematographers were still using film occasionally.

Look, Tide is experiencing the Rebirth of Slick (Cool Like Dat). I'm all for bands making a livable wage with their music, but sorry marketers, this particular pop-culture appropriation makes me want to stay grubby.

1 comment:

Francis said...

Thanks for posting that Shabazz Palaces video! I've been trying to (re)find that video for months after stumbling upon it and then promptly forgetting who it was.