Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Esquivel! - Manicero



Juan Garcia Esquivel was a musical genius from Mexico who often referred to himself as simply, "Esquivel!" And well he should have. I cut this film to a 2005 recording of his orchestra that was made for Bar/None Records--"The Sights and Sounds of Esquivel!It was recorded straightforward and live in the studio--no over-dubbing or edited takes.

The footage is from the Internet Archive, most likely of a carnival in Suriname. I've never been to Suriname, but if I ever do, I'm definitely going during carnival. The home movie footage was probably shot by a family from the Netherlands. There's a bunch of that currently going on at the Internet Archive--which is always growing and is always fascinating.

Any typos--I apologize. Ditto for the long dashes in the write-up today. I've been living in the hospital with my kid most of the week while he recovers from his mystery ailment, which will probably be revealed soon. And then: treatment. This film is dedicated to my kid, who brings such joy to my life on a daily basis.

No comments: