Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Bugging Out - Insects get their own reality show

The Science Channel has produced a new reality show called "Bugging Out" featuring the country's largest insectary and its proprietor, Ken.



Why am I interested? Bugs are not my favorite creatures. I'm more of a mammal/bird person, but this show takes place in my home-town of Concord, California and let me tell you: there aren't a lot of reality shows being filmed in Concord. So watching Ken and his wife, Georgi search for scorpions along Contra Costa County hillsides is pretty interesting to me. Plus, let's face it: insects will one day rule the world. Let's give them the media attention they deserve.

Technically my home-town is San Francisco, but I grew up in Concord and just these short clips evoke so much of my upbringing: long hair, rocker t-shirts, tattoos, laid-back discussions about insect collecting. If they have an episode where the bug-shop crew drives up to Mt. Diablo for a company barbecue, I'm good. That's all you need to know about Concord.

Ken the Bug Guy's Web site. The show is on Tuesdays at 9 p.m. or you can get it On Demand if you're so lucky.

No comments: