Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Junk-Mail Collage Mail Art

My friend and I are having a good time sending mail art to each other. We take turns making mail art and we support the U.S. Postal Service. What's our reward? Satisfaction at a job well done. Or at least attempting to do a good job. Y'know, sometimes art is a process...

Anyway, when life gives you junk mail, make junk-mail collage mail art. All of these are postcard sized—a cheap thrill. This is the first one I made. It's kind of...a mess, therefore reflective of the junk-mail collage milieu. 


An attempt at color composition. I should have used glue stick instead of Mod Podge. Like I said, it's a process.


I haven't sent this one to anyone yet. It's plenty weird. Maybe too much so.


If you want to make some junk-mail collage, just collect about five days' worth of junk mail and then start cutting or tearing. I like to arrange things a few times before committing to glue. I also enjoy tearing more than cutting, but I do like cutting out numbers and letters. Water colors are a nice touch, but watch out: junk mail is cheap paper and it will crinkle mightily. Embrace the medium.

My next postcard will probably have some drawing and other types of papers added. I do like keeping it "pure" but there's only so much you can do with advertising supplements.

No comments: