Thursday, March 06, 2008

"Girls Rock!" Doc plus Rock & Roll Camp For Girls - Portland Benefit

I was galumphing around on Jezebel and found this trailer for the new documentary Girls Rock!. I admit, I got teary-eyed watching these girls discover their inner rock goddesses. The film opens March 7th (this Friday) and Portland is having a red-carpet event. That's classy. March 7, 7pm (VIP reception at 5pm), Cinema 21, 616 NW 21st Ave., Portland, Tix.

Not surprisingly, Portland hosts a really well-regarded Rock & Roll Camp For Girls. They're having a benefit on March 14th with The Killer Llamas, DJs, plus ten girl rock bands from their camps. At the Audio Cinema, 226 SE Madison St., Portland. All ages.

If these camps had existed when I was growing up, I probably would have learned to play the drums when I was nine like I wanted to, instead of in my 30s. Oh well, when I asked for a drum kit, my dad gave me a tambourine to go with my piano lessons. He tried. I'm glad I took up the drums later on; better late than never--that's my motto. If you are a lady and wish to rock out, you can benefit the Girls Rock Camp by attending Ladies Rock Camp. Learn an instrument and jam for a 3-day weekend. What a terrific way to let out all that bottled-up angst.

No comments: