Monday, November 10, 2008

Proposition 8 Depresses / Silverton, Oregon Uplifts

Proposition 8's success in California left me heavy-hearted this week. I know it's going to Court and the fight will go on, but people: it's 2008. Time to recognize the rights of our friends and neighbors without bigotry and discrimination. Some couples would like to get married and it's wrong to stand in their way. If I believed in God, be assured that my God would approve of love and commitment among the ranks. Because my God wouldn't be AN IDIOT.

Here's a news story from "The Oregonian" that lifted my spirits. The citizens of Silverton have elected the nation's first openly transgendered mayor. Mayor Stu Rasmussen is a straight guy who wears women's clothes and has long hair and breast implants. He runs a movie theater, is a civic activist, and has lived in Silverton all his life. He says of his home town, "This is a warm, caring and accepting community and they judge people for who they are and what they stand for, not necessarily what they look like."

Congratulations to Mayor Rasmussen and to the 9,588 people of Silverton. I'm glad to get to know you a little this week.

Transgendered mayor


Source: Silverton gives its vote to transgendered mayor by Kimberly A.C. Wilson, "The Oregonian."

No comments: