Friday, November 07, 2008

Political Accoutrements Present and Accounted For

My Obama campaign buttons arrived in the mail today so I'm set to start the heirloom collection for the future grandchildren. I'm just waiting for MoveOn to send me my free button that I signed up for (in return for 50,000 emails from them). They said it would take up to five weeks for delivery. Five weeks to send a button.

Did you ever send away for something from a cereal box? It took FOREVER to arrive. Usually by the time I received the item, I had completely forgotten I had ordered it in the first place. The MoveOn Obama button will be a nice surprise a few weeks from now.

Today at Jackson's school bus stop a mom from down the street was wearing two really big Obama buttons on her coat. Now I too can be fashionable when the school bus arrives.

(Blurry photo--sorry. We don't have time to wait for pristine 35mm prints from the macro lens.)
Heirloom collection Obama buttons
And here's the Oregonian front page. Looks good, editors.
Oregonian Obama Wins front page
And here's the final electoral map from the already legendary 538 site. Thank you 538 for keeping Keith's head from exploding in the weeks leading up to Election Night. I appreciate your words of encouragement, backed by amazing mathematical skills.

Because of 538, we knew that Obama won when CNN announced Ohio was his. We got to jump up and down before a lot of people were doing so. And when our neighbors started setting off fireworks, we were ready at the door, shouting whoops of joy.
Final electoral map from 538.com
It looks like Obama will gain an electoral vote from Omaha as well. The electoral votes keep coming in.

Here's the 538 post for Tuesday, November 4, 2008, 8:27 p.m.:

Barack Obama Wins Ohio

Barack Obama wins Ohio. All call. We aren't "calling" the overall race yet, but that's ballgame, folks. He will be the next president of the United States.

Barack Obama will be the next president of the United States.

The roar goes up in Grant Park. They know.


To everyone who participated, who donated, who voted--thank you.

Now what am I going to do with these?
Past Demo political buttons

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

man, I think political pins should be a new fashion trend :)