Monday, February 09, 2009

Go See: Coraline in 3D

I already wrote about "Coraline," the book and the movie. Today I went to a 3D matinee. I wore the funny glasses and everything. OMG. Just go, GO see "Coraline." It's one of the best things I've seen in a long, long time.

Remember when Terry Gilliam blew our minds with "Time Bandits" and "Brazil"? "Coraline" will do that to you as well. And you'll take your blown mind and you'll love it. Not only is it artful with amazing stop-motion puppet animation and set design, but it's also one of the most dreamlike films I've ever seen. And I usually don't go all crazy for voice artistry (other than appreciating a good cast in an animated film), but Dakota Fanning makes Coraline such a real girl in this film. I don't think the film would be as good without her talent.

It's true--I'm ga ga for "Coraline." Please, if there is a god of cinema, let LAIKA continue to astound and entertain us with their artistry, right here in overcast Oregon. Note: "Coraline" takes place in Eugene, OR with a short stop-over in Ashland, featuring a few Shakespearean Festival characters. Har!

Trailer (again)


And look! You can make a self-portrait with button eyes on the fantabulous Coraline site.

If you click around, you'll find some amazing behind-the-scenes videos of the making of the film, including an interview of the woman who knitted the tiny, tiny clothing that the puppets wear in the film (click on "films" and scroll through to find amazing art in the making).

No comments: