Friday, February 27, 2009

Haiku Book Reviews

Could barely get on the computer this week due to a very sick child, plus adult illness as well. Everyone's sick! Luckily there's Umpqua ice cream's flavor of the month, Oregon's 150, featuring honey, huckleberry marble and Oregon Hazelnuts. It goes well with antibiotics.

What's on my bedside table? Stacks of books, that's what. In the past, I've periodically reviewed my big stack o' books, hoping it would make me seem more intellectual and literary. I took a shot.

The problem is that book reviews take quite a while to write up, proof and edit, and--let's face it--I'm not getting paid for this. So here's my solution: Book Review Haiku™ -- short, concise, poetic reflections from a compulsive reader. I'll be attempting to use the Westernized rules of Haiku with its diligent 5-7-5 syllable, three-line format. Don't roll your eyes. I've been sick and there's nothing on TV.


Polanski: A Biography by Christopher Sandford

A house of horrors
Death camps, mad killers, child rape
It's complicated







Fool the World: The Oral History of a Band Called Pixies by Josh Frank and Caryn Ganz

It was the 80s
First Boston, then the whole world
cried, "What the-?" Pixies!



The Princess Bride by William Goldman

It's been many years
since I last read this story
Surprise! It's sexist
(only a little)






A Perfect Mess: The Hidden Benefits of Disorder by Eric Abrahamson and David H. Freedman

It's OK to be
messy. Some great minds have been
messy. Just relax.


Pro Drupal Development, Second Edition by John K. VanDyk

600 pages
I have avoided reading
for several weeks


Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

I love satire so.
And this book is so brilliant
But also sexist
(oh well)


Special Magazine Section!

Bust Magazine
I fear I may be
too old to appreciate
24-year-olds


Domino
Pity, Domino
Publication is no more
I will miss your rooms

Epilogue:
Visit Nick Olsen
Domino's wonder blogger,
recession buster


Craft
Do I really need
to plant a terrarium?
Yes, I do. I do.

1 comment:

michelle robinson said...

Lisa, these are really funny!