Monday, October 19, 2009

R. Crumb Draws God

R. Crumb has been hard at work on The Book of Genesis and now it's available for all to see. USA Today did a phone interview with him and I love his description of trying to draw God, which he admits is "hard." The image came to him in a dream.

"I ended up with the old stereotypical Charlton Heston kind of God, long beard, very masculine. I used a lot of white-out, a lot of corrections when I tried to draw God."




How would you draw God? I kind of see God as an Aretha Franklin figure myself.

-Image and quote from USA Today.
-The Hammer Museum in Los Angeles is showing the original 207 pages of the book, plus cover and title pages, through February.
-NY Times R. Crumb Genesis sideshow - demented yet thoughtful Bible stuff!
-More illustrated Bible stories, made entirely out of Legos - The Brick Testament.

2 comments:

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

I think God would look like some sort of Kafka-esque animal, furred with small sharp teeth, part lamb, part woolly dog, part fierce rodent. We would not be able to fathom it's life or concerns. It probably wouldn't have genitals.

Miss Lisa said...

I totally want to see this.