Thursday, February 11, 2010

P-Star Rising trailer

I missed this the other night on PBS Independent Lens series. I thought I had the date and time right but when I tuned in, it was Frontline on one channel and Masterpiece Theatre reruns on another. This is what happens when I catch a cold: my ability to logically reason out television schedules (not my strong point anyway) goes by the wayside. Turns out it's on at 10:30 tonight on one of my local PBS stations. They make you work for the scheduling knowledge. Try searching here for your area.

P-Star is a teenager trying to make it in the music business. That is NOT EASY for anyone to do. But I say: go for it, P-Star. She's now in the new Electric Company and she definitely has that built-in charisma that stars so mysteriously possess.

Trailer below. The entire documentary can be seen on the Independent Lens video site until February 16.


Blurb: In the early '80s, Jesse Diaz was a rising star in the hip-hop world. Now a broke single father in Harlem with two children to support, Jesse finds a shot at redemption in his nine-year-old daughter Priscilla Star, a precocious and immensely talented rapper. Director Gabriel Noble follows four years of father-daughter ups and downs as they navigate the grit and the glamour of the music biz.

No comments: