Tuesday, April 05, 2011

It's National Poetry Month, bitches

Sorry for the profanity. I just want to grab your attention. People see the word "poetry" and they do one of two things: run for the hills (hitching a ride in a passing SUV) or submit their poems to some sap who's started a zine (not that I have any experience with that--ahem). Anyway, I love April because it's time for poetry writin'. Here's some NPR News Haiku, fresh from this morning's headlines, from me to you.

Hole in the ozone
bigger up north. Canada:
apply more sunscreen


Memphis policeman
bit by dog owner in park
her pit bull watching


Construction spending
down again. Housing bubble
popped, burst, exploded.


Southwest fuselage
rupture grounds 81 planes
scares us all shitless


Paul Simon album
gives NPR audience
hope for their future

There's a National Poetry Month Challenge on Tumblr (tagged NaPoMo for those who tumblr): write a poem each day of this month, and I'm taking that challenge. You can read all my bad and maybe not quite so terrible poetry on my Tumblr blog, which would otherwise be languishing: Dancing Bugs.

Past celebrations (I don't know what happened in 2010--didn't feel poetical I guess):
April is National Poetry Month (again), 2009
It's National Poetry Month So Follow Your Muse, 2008
Hot Damn! It's National Poetry Month, 2007

No comments: