Monday, May 07, 2012

What Would Mifune Do?

That's right: WWMD? Toshiro Mifune, muse of master director Akira Kurosawa, was an all-time great movie star, sensitive actor and screen icon. If you haven't sat down to watch a Kurosawa film starring Mifune—I don't know what you're waiting for. Life is short. Get to it. Your starting points to the filmography of excellence: Drunken Angel, Stray Dog, Rashomon, Seven Samurai, The Hidden Fortress, High and Low, Throne of Blood, Yojimbo, and Sanjuro. Classic stuff.

Having watched a lot of these films in the past couple decades, I started imagining true-life scenarios featuring Mifune. Of course, my true life and his film life might seem worlds apart, but his spirited approach to problem and conflict resolution hold up. And if only I could move like a cat and be as cool as Mifune. Take a journey with me into my mundane existence, as filtered through thoughts of Mifune.

This blog needs updating. My mind is churning but I will sit here reading my twitter feed until something jumps out at me.

Twitter is useless today. I've spent an hour clicking on links and I'm no closer to accomplishing anything. Al Jazeera News is particularly disturbing. I'll skip those posts. I will not write about 'Mad Men.' Everyone and their mother is writing about 'Mad Men.' If 'Mad Men' was cancelled, what would all these people write about?

I've checked the 'fridge. We're almost out of milk. I have to go to the grocery store. But I don't want to drive. I want to ride my bike. It's so difficult to carry a jug of milk on a bike. But it's a "spare the air" day and the store is only a mile-and-a-half away. I will go! Some relevant thought will come to me and I'll post something here later.

Milk is frickin' expensive. I should try to get a job again. At least the blog pays a bit in grocery bills every month. But not if I don't post anything on it! I want some light-weight hiking shoes for when I walk in the hills. That's $80 spent right there. Fuck it. I have birthday money. I'll get the milk after.

Shoes are 10% off today! These are great shoes and they allow my feet to breathe on hot days. Hey-oh! Now how will I carry them and the milk on my bike? If I put all my energy into it, I'll find a way!

Yet still, nothing on the blog. In a way, I've failed. But I have some great shoes, some milk, and avocados were on sale for a dollar each, so in some respects, on my terms, I have succeeded.

I am trapped within my existence and I make of it what I will.

Ahh, the writing mind. Does anyone even read my writing? Or do they just come here for the images? I know the answer but I don't want to admit it to myself!

Ultimately, these are merely pixels on a virtual plane, and we are specks in an unknowing universe. Therefore, I dance. To move with intent is joyful!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

As for the blog...what would Mifune do?

No comments: