Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Animated GIF - An Appreciation

You know what artform doesn't get any respect? The animated GIF. Because I'm tired, somewhat sickly and lazy, I'm just posting some GIFs I've scrounged up over at ONTD. I know that makes me a total lazybones but have you tried uploading to PhotoBucket on a sluggish computer during dire economic times? The guilt that goes into procrastinating my ongoing job search is eating away at my soul.

Let's look at some GIFs, shall we?

Here's a cheerful little GIF. Ah-hee!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I am "smiling with my eyes," like Tyra.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic



Arnold, dealing with California's multi-billion dollar deficit.


Photobucket

Bunk and Kima, working Homicide in Baltimore, could care less.

Photobucket


Let's lighten up with a little GIF dancin'! You can never have enough Paul Rudd dance GIFs in your possession. Call it Paul Rudd GIF hoarding syndrome.

Photobucket



Photobucket



Kathy Griffin is all, "Hey wait a minute! Don't forget me! I've got my own dancin' GIF style too, you know!" Kathy, I respect your life of comedy and your GIF dancin'.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic



Image and video hosting by TinyPic




Is this the ultimate GIF to date? If you've found anything better, let me know.

Photobucket

I don't know who created any of these (except if it's Tyra Banks, it most likely came from Rich at FourFour--the expert on all things Tyra). That's the beauty of the form. It's an anonymous, cheap, pop-culture thrill within a tiny animated format. To GIF-makers everywhere--thank you for filling a void we didn't know existed.

2 comments:

Megan McElroy said...

HAHAHAHA I think we watch the same tv shows. Have you finished the Wire? I didn't know I had a family member with a blog - very nice! It looks fun, I should make one.
-your cousin Megan

Miss Lisa said...

I'm about to start watching Season 5 of "The Wire." Season 4 was an emotional devastator for me. I'm wary but I forge on, due to its unprecedented excellence. I'll be even more devastated when I reach the end.

You SHOULD start a blog. It's easy! It's fun! It gets your inner voice to come outside a little bit. I heartily endorse this plan.